Saturday 9 November 2013

FOOD! Easy (Raw?) Vegan Breakfast

My old workmate has set up an awesome website called Connect The Dots. It's a mind,body,spirit type website with lot's of 'normal' people contributing,writing about life experiences,body confidence,healthy eating etc.

Yours truly was very kindly asked to contribute and at the moment it's all recipes I have up there,though I will soon be writing up some body confidence - self esteem stuff.

Now you have my word that this will NEVER be always be a diet free zone.I have tried and failed every diet out there imaginable,lost weight-gained it back-lost weight-gained it back etc. and my self esteem was up and down like a yo yo.I even tried those stupid meal replacement shake diets in desperation one day and all I lost was my sanity.

I totally believe in Health at Every Size (HAES) and that we still do need to take care of our bodies,without giving in to societies expectations.Since I learnt to stop hating myself and my self esteem has sky rocketed,I've falling naturally into healthier eating patterns (I still slip up and have my binging episodes,but mostly I have pretty much sorted out my disordered eating) and as a result I have lost a little weight (without that being my aim or intention),my skin and hair looks much better and I am happy.


One thing I have been experimenting with lately is Raw eating.When I first read about raw eating many,many moons ago,it was an article in some trashy magazine about Demi Moore and her strictly raw diet.It sounded pretty extreme back then and I didn't give it a second thought.As I've slowly sorted out my disordered eating I educated myself a lot through other bloggers and the internet.Raw food actually seemed appetising and exciting as opposed to crunching down on endless celery sticks which Ms Moore seemed to do.

Subconsciously I have now found myself in the pattern of having a raw breakfast and morning tea.My treats of choice are becoming raw sweets as opposed to chocolate bars (although I could never give up chocolate completely!) and as a result of my overall eating overhaul I've inadvertently lost a little weight,my health stats have improved dramatically to being extremely healthy,even to my Dr's surprise.(Size is not an indicator of health,but I will write more on that another time.) and my skin,nails and hair (till I tortured it with bleach) are looking much better.

During the warmer months this is my usual breakfast.I was in the habit for years and years of never having breakfast,but now I force myself to get up that little earlier to have something and get that extra 15 minutes to wake up and get myself together.When you have an awesome breakfast to look forward to,getting up earlier is all that little more enticing.I first discovered this method on Instagram and it's become a staple since.It's takes mere minutes to throw together the night before and then you just leave it overnight.No cooking and minimal prep.A winner for mornings!

Somehow overnight the oats become a gorgeously creamy,voluminous concoction.This is my basis for many combos,other alternatives......

###### I don't know if technically this is raw because I use a shop bought milk alternative?

* Frozen berries  (I use frozen because it's more economical.Fresh berries are an absolute treat to me that I prefer to eat fresh and plain)

* Instead of banana,mash up a mango and add dessicated coconut.Use coconut milk instead of your normal milk choice

* Stewed apple and frozen blueberries instead of banana

* Stewed cherries (I use frozen)

* Add 1 teaspoon raw cacao powder

* Add dessicated/shredded coconut

OVERNIGHT OATS IN A JAR (OOIAJ) - Basic Recipe

In an empty/nearly empty nut butter jar add.......

1 ripe banana mashed

1 Tbsp nut butter of your choice (I do have healthier,natural nut butters but I couldn't resist a choc chip cookie PB!)

1 Tbsp chia seeds

1 Tbsp coconut oil

3 Tbsp oats

a few drops Vanilla paste

Approx. 1 cup milk of your choice (I use coco quench)

008

1. Mash the banana with the peanut butter and coconut oil. (This helps to avoid the coconut oil clumping together)

2. Add it to the jar with everything else.

3. Shake the jar/mix with a spoon

4. Leave in the fridge overnight

5. Set your alarm a little earlier to enjoy your jar of awesomeness!

No comments:

Post a Comment